Hey guys! While I’m spending some time in the USA, I want to share with you something I made before leaving Italy. Today’s recipe is a sweet treat that can be served in a get together or a party. It’s been so long since I’ve posted another recipe…I know, so here with go with a little easy one! I made it with my mum, thankful she has so much patience because I’m always a bit messy when I cook!
- 4 eggs
- 100gr. sugar plus some more to decore at the end.
- 1/3 cup water
- 25gr butter
- milk chocolate
- 60gr all porpose flour + 60gr potato flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 200C (392°F). Line 30x40x1 -cm pan with waxed paper, foil or cooking parchment paper; generously grease waxed paper or foil with shortening
- In medium bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in granulated sugar. Beat in water and vanilla on low speed. Gradually add flour, baking powder, beating just until batter is smooth. Pour into pan, spreading to corners.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan and turn upside down onto towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully remove paper. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary. While cake is hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end. Cool on cooling rack at least 30 minutes.
- Unroll cake and remove towel. Beat chocolate previously melted in bain-marie (or you can use Nutella to be faster) slightly with fork to soften; spread over cake. Roll up cake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This is a critical step and maybe the only difficult thing about making this recipe. Be sure to fold the cake carefully in order to not break it.
I personally added some coconut powder and chocolate chip at the end but you can just put powder sugar or try something else, maybe some jam instead of chocolate! This sponge cake is easy to roll and makes for a simple yet impressive dessert!
Hope you like the post and see you to the next one!